Prof. Larry Franklin
Adjunct Professor of Finance, Management, and Business Law;
Former General Manager - Investments & Head Legal Counsel, Hutchison Whampoa
MBA, JD, Stanford University; CPA
- 27 Dean’s Teaching Excellence citations, HKUST
- Kellogg-Recanati EMBA Best Teacher Award
- HKUST iEMBA Professor of the Year
- Kellogg-WHU EMBA Best Teacher Award
- MIT Sloan Teaching Excellence Award nominee
World Class Teaching Experience:
- MIT Sloan School of Management
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- China-Europe International Business School
- NYU Stern School of Business
- Tsinghua University
- Kellogg-HKUST EMBA
- HKUST MBA Programs
Until 2002, Professor Franklin was the General Manager-Investments and Head Legal Counsel for Hutchison Whampoa (China) Ltd., responsible for a US$500 million corporate venture capital fund, investing in China and the U.S.
From 1989-1998, he was the Deputy Managing Director of the flagship investment banking subsidiary in Asia for the American International Group (AIG), sourcing and structuring investments throughout the Asia Pacific Region for AIA Capital’s $110m VC Fund and AIG’s $1.1bn Infrastructure Fund.
From 1985-1989, he was the China Country Head of The First National Bank of Chicago, responsible for the bank’s worldwide China activities, including offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Chicago and New York.
Professor Franklin has been working in Asia and actively involved in the China market since 1981. To date, he has raised more than $9 billion for investment projects in Asia, $5 billion for China and $4 billion elsewhere in Asia. He has also successfully completed 55 equity and debt transactions in and with the PRC.